Pages

Wednesday 4 July 2012

Naughty Hamish continues...

Cast - Me (Mum), and the naughty 6mth old Alpaca, Hamish.

Yesterday Hamish was thoroughly in disgrace for spitting at a 3y.o friend who came for a play-date with 21mth old. 
I did forgive him though, as he didn't know the little boy and the 3y.o did run up to him.  Today, I was prepared for all to be forgotten.  After working hard clearing the top paddock, getting it ready for our Alpaca stud male, we were ready for a break.

21mths had gone for his nap, Daughter and I grabbed the feed buckets, a chair each and a cuppa.  The two girls were fed and stroked, and the boys had their bucket in the pen.  Cuppa finished, Daughter and I went in to complete the daily task of handling the boys.  Hamish stood in his usual way as I approached, with his tail slightly lifted and ears slightly back.  I can usually stroke his back and neck while he stands there.  Today however, he made the 'uuurrrkkkk' noise and spat in front of him (I was at the side), so I grabbed a good hold of him as he spat again and again.  I knew that after yesterday's escapade, he thought that spitting was a way to avoid being petted!!  So Hamish was held onto, and after I had told him off for spitting, I talked to him quietly and petted him until he stopped struggling.  Once he was calm I let him go.  

After a couple of minutes I walked up to him again, and he put his ears back and face up like he was going to spit.  I warned him to behave and that I wouldn't put up with his spitting, then reached out and stroked him again without holding him.  This time he let me without the spitting.  I repeated this again and his behaviour was much improved. He then went back to eating his chaff, and was back to his old self.  Honestly, not much different to children!

No comments:

Post a Comment